Wichita is the largest city in Kansas. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 382,368.
The city was incorporated in 1870, based on the success of businessmen who came to hunt and trade with native populations. Its position on the Chisholm Trail made it a destination for cattle drives heading north to access railroads to eastern markets. In the 20th century, aircraft pioneers such as Clyde Cessna, Walter Beech and Bill Lear began projects that would lead to Wichita's nicknaming as the "Air Capital of the World". The aircraft corporations Stearman, Cessna, Mooney and Beechcraft were all founded in Wichita in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Cessna and Hawker Beechcraft remain based in Wichita today, along with Learjet and Spirit AeroSystems, and both Airbus and Boeing maintain a workforce in Wichita. In 2008, 42 percent of all general aviation aircraft manufactured worldwide were produced in Wichita, according to the General Aviation Manufacturers Association.
Wichita is the birthplace of Pizza Hut and White Castle fast-food chains.
A.A. Hyde invented Mentholatum in 1894. The building where the ointment was originally manufactured is still in use today as The Spice Merchant, a coffee-specialty store and café.
In 2008, the NAACP recognized Wichita as the site of the first sit-in by African Americans at an all-white lunch counter in August 1958.
- All American City - National League of Cities
- Top 10 Best Big Cities - Money Magazine
- 35th in America's Top 100 Places to Live - RelocateAmerica.com
- Easiest commute in the U.S. - Small Market Meetings
- Most affordable city in the Midwest - Forbes Magazine Online
- Third most affordable city to visit in the U.S. - AAA
- 5,000,000 Longhorns driven up the Chisholm Trail to the Wichita railhead
- 7,000+ Hotel Rooms
- 1,000+ Restaurants
- 225 Days of Sunshine
- 54.3% of general aviation aircraft produced in the U.S. is manufactured in Kansas
- 42% of general aviation aircraft produced worldwide is manufactured in Kansas
- 36 Museums
- 35 Art Galleries
- 34 Golf Courses
- 24 Great Attractions
- 20 Live Theaters
- 3 Universities
- Average annual rainfall: 30.38 inches
- Average annual snowfall: 15 inches
- Coldest month: January
- Average High - 40.1 & Low - 20.3
- Hottest month: July
- Average High - 92.9 & Low 69.1